Tuesday 28 June 2016

Rainy Day Pillow

Instagram tells me that in November 2015 my oldest daughter was feeling down and so I kept her home from school.  In my wisdom, I decided to cheer her up by letting her play with my fabrics ... colour always cheers me up!  ... but guess what colour she chose to play with?

Blue.

Colours and emotions really do go together don't they?

Sunny day shot in November

We had a little play, I sewed up the beginnings of a quilt as you go pillow for her ... that cheered her up and she was back to school the next day.  And so the half made pillow stayed half made ... until now.

Rainy Day shot in June!

We are calling it her "Rainy Day Pillow".  I love the tenderness displayed in the Sarah Jane print at the centre of the pillow.



Making this for my daughter has taught me that even kids need PJ days sometimes.  Life can get a little overwhelming and no amount of rainbow can bring on a smile.  It's OK to mellow in blues sometimes.  They soothe the mind, cool any anger and freshen you up for the day ahead.

Pillow Stats:
Size 17" square
Pillow front pattern by @quiltstorymeg for @lovequiltingmagine Issue 20
Fabrics on the front are a real mix ... lets play eye-spy for fabric lovers
Fabric on the back is Oval Elements by Art Gallery Fabrics
Enclosed zipper tutorial from Ms Midge, you can find it here.

Zip: Now you see it ...

Now you don't ...

My youngest daughter was feeling her normal happy self that day ... her choice of fabric was a lot more "festive" ... check out this for colour ... did that wake you up?



Time to sign off and start sewing her little masterpiece together too!

Sx

Linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday, Let's Be Social and Finish It Up Friday

13 comments:

  1. Love the deer prints! I was watching videos on colour and they said blue was the most universally liked colour. Had to sleep in an all red room once. Never again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I like that pineapple print in the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet pillow. I also really love the contrast between the two fabric selections your daughters made that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day even though your daughter was sick!! The pillow is wonderful and I love hidden zippers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeus pillows! Both colour palettes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pillows are an excellent way to express the color choices. How cute! I love that pink (ish) shingle fabric on the left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely finish ... and I totally agree PJ days are good for the soul at any age!! I have my youngest sick at home with me today so maybe she just needs some fabric therapy too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That cushion is so pretty. Love the little bambi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything about that blue cushion - colour, fabric, design, and the cute print in the centre.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, we all need PJ days sometimes.
    I really like the blue cushion. Soothing blues are perfect for just about everything.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...